The Blog Has Moved!!!

Update summer 2021: blog has a new name! Please visit me at https://thepowerofquiet.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Olympic Knitting

I had a hard time deciding what project to work on during the Olympics. I never joined a team on Ravelry to compete in the Ravellenic Games on Ravelry (formerly known as the Ravelympics) but wanted to try to start and finish a project during the games as my way of participating. I pored over patterns and pulled yarn out of my stash and looked at projects I have lined up. I finally decided on some gift/charity knitting and some mohair yarn that has been nicely aging in my stash for the past 20 years. Then I pulled out patterns. I started one, and it was a little fussy following the chart, and then after all that focus I wasn't happy with the result. I switched to a different stitch pattern, just using what I had knitted as a big swatch. Wasn't entirely happy with the second option, so I hunted some more and found yet another pattern to try.


Here is my "Olympic trial." I'm sure the first stitch pattern would look better once it's blocked, but I wasn't happy with the way it was knitting up. There's a lacy pattern on top of that, and a different lacy pattern at the very top, which I eventually decided on. The pattern is from knitty.com. Here's the link: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer07/PATTwisp.html



Ta da! As I write this the piece is already 3 times as long as it is in this  picture and it's easy to keep track of but interesting enough that I'm not getting bored with the knitting. 

I am thoroughly enjoying watching the Olympics, and find myself cheering for all sorts of athletes from all different countries, though I do cheer for all the Americans, and there is still a special place in my heart for the Canadians, as I lived in Canada for 8 years during my childhood.

Well, back to Olympics coverage and more knitting.

Shelley in CT

No comments:

Post a Comment