The Blog Has Moved!!!

Update summer 2021: blog has a new name! Please visit me at https://thepowerofquiet.blogspot.com/

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Moving On

We've just barely launched into summer vacation (school has been out for 2 weeks) and we're already preparing for the first trip of the summer. We are flying out to Oregon to visit relatives and it should be quite a visit. My mom has organized a big family reunion weekend with my siblings and their spouses, nieces and nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing everybody.

Looking ahead to the trip also brings to my mind the baby quilt that I started, back when my newest nephew was a baby. Zane is now almost 2-1/2 years old, and the quilt is STILL not finished! This past weekend I decided that I had to finish it once and for all, and if I get my act together and work fast, I can deliver it in person. This weekend I was able to finish up the quilt top.


Here it is hanging on the line. I am very happy with the way it has turned out, and I didn't have any problems with the pattern, other than how long each star block took to put together. I love the result but I wouldn't make this quilt again because of how fiddly and time consuming those blocks were.

Now I need to put the backing, batting, and top together and baste. I am going to pin baste, and then machine quilt. I'm not sure just how I'm going to quilt it though. I'm leaning toward quilting some stars in the more open sections of the blocks and in the borders, and then random swirly stippling, similar to what the pattern in the magazine suggested. I may outline the stars, or quilt just inside the stars as well. I'll be sure to do LARGE swirls and stippling though, so it doesn't take me forever to finish. My batting is cotton but can be quilted up to 8 inches apart, so I've got a lot of leeway.

Last week we said goodbye to Aya, our exchange student from Japan. She's back in Japan and has sent us emails to let us know she's home safe. It was a very sad few days before we brought her to the hotel where the exchange student group gathered before going home. Hard as it was, I was glad to know that the reason  she was sad was because she had had a good year with us and didn't want to leave (though I know she was also anxious to get back to Japan and see her family and friends whom she hadn't seen in 10 months).


Here are the "sisters" saying a teary goodbye.

We've been trying to add some learning for the kids to the summer this year. They are both learning how to do their own laundry (yay!), though right now, I still need to lead them through it. Our plan was also to have them cook one dinner a week, but it's been difficult to put that one in motion. They also both have part-time jobs this summer, but there is still plenty of time left over for them to spend hours at the computer, texting with their friends, and sleeping until noon when they can get away with it. Today we're going to get out in the sunshine and go to the town craft fair.

Lots to do this week to prepare for the trip. I have hopes of getting a relaxing day or two visiting with my folks, in between the family reunion, meeting up with old friends and possibly even a college visit. I'm not holding my breath though.

Shelley in CT


No comments:

Post a Comment