The Blog Has Moved!!!

Update summer 2021: blog has a new name! Please visit me at https://thepowerofquiet.blogspot.com/

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Socks!



My socks are back on track! Turns out I had missed a decrease on one sock on one side, so my number didn't add up. I had to pull everything off the needles, rearrange, and recount in order to figure out what was going on, but I only had to reknit one round. Yay! I'm using a pattern for Two Toe-Up Socks on a Single Circular Needle, so when I finally am done, the pair is finished - no second sock syndrome.

I was going to post a link to the pattern, but I can't remember where I got it. I've googled everything I can think of and it's not coming up. As I look more closely at my printouts,I think I used a basic toe-up two-at-a-time on one circular needle pattern, and substituted in the iron heel instead of the heel that was written in the basic pattern, which is why it's not coming up on the search. The information on the iron heel can be found here: http://pencraftco.wordpress.com/category/completed-projects/socks/  The sock itself is fairly plain, with stockinette sole and 1x1 rib for the top of the foot and everything above the heel. The heel shaping gets a little tricky, and the decreasing above the heel (to decrease the gusset stitches away) is every 3 rounds rather than every 2 rounds. I'm having to focus more on this heel, but it is likely because it's the first time I'm trying this technique. I had to really focus on the standard top-down heel flap the first couple of times I knitted socks but they're old hat now. I'm hoping this heel will give me a good fit. It's also supposed to wear well, ergo the name "iron heel."

I may even find some time to knit some more on these socks this week: we have prom gowns for both girls (borrowed and second-hand), work is settling back down to manageable levels, and AP tests are over! Not only that, we had a beautiful sunny warm day today for Mother's Day and my wonderful husband grilled me dinner and the kids cleaned up afterward. Life is good.

Shelley in CT


No comments:

Post a Comment