The Blog Has Moved!!!

Update summer 2021: blog has a new name! Please visit me at https://thepowerofquiet.blogspot.com/

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Zany Stars!!!



My nephew Zane's 2nd birthday has come and gone, and the baby quilt I started for him over 2 years ago is still sitting, half made, on my sewing table. Well, it's time to finish it! I must say, Helen's posts (one of the blogs I follow: runquiltknitwrite) with pictures of her Wonky Stars certainly helped motivate me to pick up this languishing project. This pattern comes from the Sew Many Quilts magazine, nov/dec 1998 issue, and is actually called Ph.D. Stars, for Personally Hand-Designed Stars. Here's the pic of the pattern:

Each star is drawn by hand on a square piece of freezer paper and cut apart. Each star piece is ironed on to a piece of fabric, and the star is sewn together. I loved the look of the quilt and the idea, but after about half a dozen stars, I was finding it rather tedious. Thus, the long hiatus. Now I finally have all the stars sewn and have started on the checkerboard pieces (heavenly easy!). I think I'll be able to finish it up fairly quickly now that all the fussy piecing is done. It would be good to get this baby quilt sent to him before he turns 3! This should be the very last of the baby quilts for nieces and nephews. The quilt for my penultimate nephew got to him for his 2nd birthday. Apparently I'm getting lazier less efficient in my old age.

Kids are now (finally!) finished with the school play. The last performance was this evening so Dan and Aya and I went to see it, and brought along a friend and neighbour as well. They all did a great job! I know the kids worked hard and really enjoyed the process, but it got so hectic and time-consuming by performance time that they are both kind of relieved that it's over. So are we.

I'm elected to stay up until the kids get home from the cast party, so it's time to settle in with an episode of Inspector Morse, my knitting, and a glass of wine. And on top of that, tonight we lose an hour because we switch to Daylight Savings Time. At least there's not much going on tomorrow and I can try to catch up.

Shelley in CT

No comments:

Post a Comment