The Blog Has Moved!!!

Update summer 2021: blog has a new name! Please visit me at https://thepowerofquiet.blogspot.com/

Thursday, August 11, 2011

It's the little things...

I've been trying to catch up on the mending in addition to all the summer outside projects (like weeding, mulching, sealing the driveway, cleaning the gutters) and have only been sporadically successful.  There are still a number of items in the mending pile, but I actually did some sewing from scratch!  It was not a romantic item, but rather a practical item that I found I needed after I bought the umbrella clothes dryer.  I found that as I put the items on the line it was a real pain to keep reaching down to a bucket of clothespins.  I needed an apron with a big pocket.  One that I could access with either hand.


Voila!

 I took a regular apron pattern and shortened it, and cut that main pattern piece out of red fabric.  Then I cut out a second piece in a blue print, but I had folded up about 4 or 5 inches of fabric in the middle of the apron before I cut out the piece (so the sides of the two pieces had the same shapes but the blue print piece was wider).  Then I cut out a curved piece from the top outside corners of the blue piece and bound that edge with bias tape.  I placed the blue print piece on top of the red piece and took about 4 pleats across the bottom of the blue piece so that the curved edges matched up.  I bound the entire edge with bias tape.  Then I attached it to the waistband and I have a wonderfully efficient clothespin apron!  It didn't take very long to make and I am so pleased with it.  I have been using it regularly as I put out my wash in all this summer sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment